Sunday

More problems, more solutions

The method I am using to make my daft punk helmet is quite a large investment, as it relies on making a mold and then making up the loss of money by mass producing the product. To do this, I am making a mock-up of the helmet using a cardboard frame and expanding foam. This will have the same outer shape as the helmet. Afterward, I will make a mold from this using silicone from smooth-on. Using a method of lining the inside of the called slushcasting, I will make replicas from the mold. Now, i have almost finished a mock-up, but I found that the dimensions were actually much smaller than I needed. I have decided that it would be easier to remake the entire mold with a larger foam base than it would be to simply layer on Bondo to get it to the appropriate size. Fortunately, this should easier the second time around due to the learning curve behind working with foam.

Something positive, though, is that I got the electronics to work, and it's quite pretty.
A typical example of slush casting, from Tyr on TheReplicaPropForum

No comments:

Post a Comment